Thursday, May 14, 2009

Multigrain Waffles



I like to have breakfast for dinner sometimes, esp when I don't feel like cooking! So this week, I've been trying to not go shopping until the weekend. Our shopping trips got all messed up since my husband's been laid off, so its not a weekly thing the past month. I thought I'd see if I could scrape together some meals to last us to the end of the week. Tonight seemed like a great night to have waffles, so I searched RecipeZaar.com for a "healthy" version of them. They turned out sooo good!! Even my husband was like, wow, these are really good! We'll see if he's hungry in a few hours, or if the whole grains keep him full. :)

Multigrain Waffles
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups milk
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup flax seed meal
1/4 cup wheat germ

1/4 all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

Wisk first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Combine remaining 7 ingredients and beat into wet until smooth.

I didn't have any wheat germ, so I just added a little bit more all-purpose flour to make up for it. I also added a teaspoon of vanilla. They were nice and crisp and surprisingly light.

Check out Grocery Cart Challenge Recipe Swap for more!

2 comments:

  1. those look great! I love adding applesauce in place of some of the oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I've been trying to go all whole grain..this is looks like one I'd like to try...bookmarking!!!!

    ReplyDelete